Sunday, March 25, 2012

LOST DUTCHMAN MARATHON-2012

I'm a little late updating this blog, but better late than never. On Feb. 19th 2012, I finished the Lost Dutchman Marathon. My time: 4:10. I was so EXCITED because my first marathon time was 5:06. I was almost an hour faster this time!
The race was fantastic from start to finish. Here's how it went: Mauricio (my wonderful husband) and I woke up at 3:30 AM and drove to Apache Junction where I caught the shuttle to the start of the race at the base of the Superstition Mountains.
At the start of the race, a hundred little camp fires lit up the night with runners huddled around each fire, trying to keep warm. There was also a nice "warming" bus, and that's where I waited!



Eventually, the sun woke up and the starting gun sounded at 7:00 AM…and off we went! At first, I had to keep slowing down to make sure I didn't overdo it early in the race and lose energy later on. I was able to easily maintain an 8:30-9:00 pace.



The first seven miles were AMAZING! We ran on a dirt road through the desert with mountains, cacti, and boulders all around us. We even ran past a couple of cows (Yes, cows!) on the side of the road. I like to think they were cheering us on!



The first seven miles sped by, and I felt very good. I enjoyed hearing the other runners chitchatting around me. It felt like we were all on a grand adventure together. You could sniff the excitement in the air.


Soon enough, we hit Mile 7 and started running down the highway. I expected to start feeling tired, but I didn't. I was flying! Even the inclines weren't bad.



Soon enough, though, I did start getting tired, and that came around Mile 20. I didn't hit the wall, but I was losing speed and my legs were beginning to protest.  I had to keep repeating to myself: Just keep running. One foot in front of the other. Just keep running.



Before I knew it, I was at Mile 23 and busting through the wall. Literally.




At Mile 25, I looked at my Garmin. Time: 3:59. Are you kidding me? Was my watch broken? I couldn't believe that I was doing so well. I was expecting to finish at 4:30 at best.  A big smile lit up my face as I raced up Lost Dutchman Blvd and around the corner to the Finish Line.



As I ran that final .2 miles to the Finish Line, I could hear my husband and the rest of my racelab teammates yelling my name and cheering me on. Almost there, I told myself, almost there.



Crossing that Finish Line was surreal. I couldn't believe I clocked in at 4:10. I was SO HAPPY and SURPRISED! All I could do was grin from ear to ear when my racelab coach ran up to give me a congratulatory hug. My husband followed soon after--lifting me up in the air and twirling me around. It was one of the BEST moments in my life. VICTORY!











No comments:

Post a Comment